“Try Everything” was recorded by Shakira for the 2016 Disney film Zootopia. I have yet to see this film but I absolutely love this song. Keener’s 3 year old preschool class starts each day with a dance party and thankfully I was there the day this song played. The beat is incredible and so is the message. Below are my favorite lines:
- I won’t give up, no I won’t give in.
- I wanna try even though I could fail
- Sometimes we come last but we did our best
- I’ll keep on making those new mistakes
After watching Keener and the other 3 and 4 year olds dance, it reminded me about the power of a dance party. Why not turn the music on at home more often? Dancing has many benefits for both kids and adults:
- Teaches life lessons. The life lessons in this song are amazing. It is all about not giving up, making mistakes, and trying again. Sometimes, I will start singing this song at moments where Keener needs that reminder most (a tower that has fallen, persisting with a zipper jacket, etc.)
- Instant mood booster. It’s hard to be in a bad mood while you are dancing. When there is a great song on, harboring anger or a keeping a scowl on your face is actually quite challenging
- Releases energy. My kids always need additional opportunities to release extra energy. While sometimes one may feel goofy dancing, it brings you back to your younger years tearing up that dance floor…
- Inclusive and social. As long as you can move any part of your body, you can dance with your kids. It’s an activity that everyone in the family can do together, no matter how young or old.
I wrote a post a while back about meeting resistance with singing which is still a go-to strategy I use with my kids. Dancing is one that I often forget about but am always happy when I remember. Some of our favorite times to dance:
- During the evening hour when everyone is tired from the day
- Before a meal is ready when you need just 3 more minutes to get food on the table
- When there is negative energy and everyone needs to push the reset button
- In the morning to wake everyone up
- In the car! Of course safety first while driving – but turn on the tunes and dance in your (car)seat
- When there is extra energy that needs to be burned!
Other favorite preschool dance party songs:
- Can’t Stop The Feeling! Justin Timberlake from Trolls
- Fight Song, Rachel Platten
- We Will Rock You, Queen
- Lil Nas X – Old Town Road
- Party in the USA, Miley Cyrus